Kryvyi Rih is a city situated in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast with an estimated population of almost 700,000 people and a total area of 410 km2. Kryvyi Rih is a large industrial city, it is one of the main steel industry cities of Eastern Europe.
90% of the city population uses district heating, of which 56% of the market is occupied by KPTM “Kryvorizhteplomerezha” and 40% by SE “Kryvorizhteplotsentral”. KPTM «Kryvorizhteplomerezha» operates all of the distributive thermal networks and heating stations in the city and has an installed capacity of 2,335 Gcal/h.
Kryvyi Rih Demonstration Project – overview
The proposed project concerned the rehabilitation of the Baturynska boiler house and the district heating network connected to it. The boiler house is located inside the railway company property and has potential space for using biofuel.
The total project would demonstrate a small consumer-controlled district heating system and included production unit, distribution network and end-user installations. The biofuel boiler would also represent a demonstration value.
Kryvyi Rih Demonstration Project – details
The project area is situated in the eastern part of Kryvyi Rih and includes the heating network supplied by the boiler house Baturynska.
Specifics of the Kryvyi Rih Project included:
- Installation of two (2×1.5 MW) full automated gas boilers as well as one bio fuel-fired boiler (1×1.0 MW) and necessary fuel preparation equipment and other auxiliary equipment in the boiler house Baturynska.
- Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 4 IHSs in buildings connected to the heating network supplied from the boiler house Baturynska.
- Network replacement – approx. 700m replacement of obsolete and worn out existing district heating networks by new pre-insulated district heating pipelines.
The proposed investment was EUR 824,000. The proposed financing plan was as follows:
- Total loan – EUR 400,000 (49%)
- Total grant – EUR 300,000 (36%)
- Total Kryvyi Rih local contribution – EUR 124,000 (15%)
The project was expected to benefit the local community by:
- Saving 2,060 MWh heat per year
- Saving 340,000 m³ gas per year
- Saving 1,045 tonnes CO2 per year
The project has been cancelled. The project has been rejected by the city concerning that other projects are more relevant for the DH Company.
Photo credit: Dogvillan