Konotop is a city of regional subordination and is the administrative and cultural centre of Konotop district, in the western part of Sumy Oblast. Located 240 km to the northeast from the capital of Ukraine, the city is the home to 93,000 people. Konotop is an industrial city with nearly 12,000 buildings and strategically located at the intersection of rail lines.
The service area of district heating supply of the Municipal Company “Teplogarant” is divided into five district heating areas, it operates 38 boiler houses with a total installed capacity of 145 Gcal/h and a total length of district heating networks of 38 km.
Konotop Demonstration Project – overview
The proposed project involves interconnecting the three boiler house areas in Semashko street 3a, Uspensko-Troitska street 37b and Uspensko-Troitska street 86a in the city of Konotop. It also involves the installation of a new biomass boiler in the existing boiler house in Semashko street 3a making it possible to close down the old boiler houses in Uspensko-Troitska street 37b and Uspensko-Troitska street 86a. The existing gas boilers in Semashko will act as peak load boilers in the interconnected system. These investments will dramatically reduce the use of fossil fuels in the system and it is proposed the installation of IHSs in all the buildings connected to these three district heating systems which will reduce the use of fossil fuels and will make it possible to operate the entire extended Semashko district heating system as a fully demand driven and modern system.
Konotop Demonstration Project – details
The project area is situated close to the central part of Konotop city and includes heated areas of three boiler houses in Semashko street 3a, Uspensko-Troitska street 37b and Uspensko-Troitska street 86a.
Figure 1: Map of Konotop with indication of the project area
Specifics of the Konotop project include:
- Installation of a biomass boiler (1×3.0 MW) and boiler house modernisation (Semashko str. 3a).
- Close down of two boiler houses in Uspensko-Troitska str. 37b and Uspensko-Troitska str. 86a.
- Installation of new interconnection network – approx. 545m to interconnect the areas supplied by the three boiler houses.
- Individual Heat Substations – Introduction of 45 IHSs.
The proposed investment is EUR 1,090,000 with a simple pay-back time of 2.9 years. The proposed financing plan is as follows:
- Total loan – EUR 500,000 (46%)
- Total grant – EUR 300,000 (27.5%)
- Total Konotop local contribution – EUR 290,000 (26.5%)
Once implemented, the project is expected to benefit the local community by:
- Saving 1,800,000 m³ gas per year (85% saving from the baseline*)
- Saving 3,480 tonnes CO2 per year (85% saving from the baseline*)
*Baseline is estimated for the networks in question only (not the entirety of the district heating in Konotop) for the case of no-project activity.
The project is currently in the stage of receiving all the necessary approvals in preparation for its implementation.
Photo credit: city administration